Make it Cheese Please
- 1/2 lb. blanched almonds
- 1/2 lb. walnuts or pecan halves dash of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Toast the nuts in the oven until light brown, about eight-12 minutes. Stiffly beat two egg whites.
- Fold sugar and salt into the stiffly beaten egg whites and beat again until stiff peaks form.
- Fold nuts into the sugar-egg white (meringue) mixture.
- Melt butter on a cookie sheet with sides (or use broiler pan) and spread the nut mixture on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees F. Stir every 10 minutes until nuts are covered with coating and are light brown and no butter remains.
Keep a selection of dried fruits (think apricots, cherries, medjool dates and/or figs) on hand in the pantry to add colour and sweetness to your cheese platters. Well wrapped cheeses keep for weeks in the fridge, so if you stock up on cheese and dried fruit (and of course a variety of crackers) you can put a platter together at a moment’s notice.
This recipe was first published on November 5, 2008 by Dana in the Waterloo Chronicle.