Oil + Vinegar – Pairing – Warm Christmas Spice:
BLOOD ORANGE infused olive oil
CINNAMON PEAR white balsamic vinegar
Spiced Squash + Pear Soup
- 3 tablespoons DANA’s Blood Orange infused olive oil, divided
- 5 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5 lbs. butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 3 ripe pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup apple juice (or pear juice)
- ½ cup whipping cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- DANA’s Cinnamon Pear dark balsamic vinegar to drizzle on top of soup, as required
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Brush foil with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Place squash halves, cut side down, on foil.
- Bake squash for about 60-75 minutes or until squash is fork tender and soft. Let the squash cool, then scoop out the flesh from the skin and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the shallots and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add the celery and the carrots and cook for another 6-7 minutes or until softened. Add the pears, ginger and the cinnamon, stir and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the squash, stock and apple juice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for another 25 minutes or so. Remove from heat. Purée using a hand blender or in batches using a blender. Add whipping cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more whipping cream, stock or juice if the soup seems too thick.
- Just before serving, drizzle some of the cinnamon pear balsamic on top of each bowl of soup.