- 1 (one) medium rutabaga (cut into small cubes), about 2 – 2½ lbs.
- 1 (one) large tart apple (cut into small cubes)
- 8 (eight) cloves garlic
- 3 (three) tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 (one-third) cup sour cream
- 1 (one) cup grated old Cheddar cheese
- 4 (four) tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- A dash of Frank’s hot sauce
- Unsalted butter to grease baking dish
- Place rutabaga, apple and garlic in a large pot, cover with cold water and a sprinkling of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer until rutabaga is tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Drain rutabaga and puree batches in a food processor. Spoon into a large bowl. Stir in butter, sour cream, cheddar and parmesan cheeses and blend until smooth. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease an 8 X 8 inch, 2 quart ovenproof baking dish with butter.
- Spoon rutabaga mixture into baking dish. Bake rutabaga for about 30 minutes or until heated through.
Rutabaga mixture can be made a day or two ahead and stored covered in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before baking.