Oil + Vinegar – Pairing – Pucker Up:
LEMON fused olive oil
SICILIAN LEMON white balsamic vinegar
Healthier Chicken Piccata with Capers
- 8 boneless, skinless thin-cut (1/4 to 1/2 inch thick) chicken breast cutlets
- salt & pepper, to taste
- all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 2 tablespoons DANA’s all natural Butter flavoured olive oil, or 2 tablespoons of regular butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons of DANA’s Sicilian Lemon fused olive oil, divided
- 2 medium cloves garlic, sliced thin
- ¼ cup DANA’s Lemon white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup capers in brine
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in the flour and shake off any excess.
- In a large skillet set over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter olive oil (or butter) and one tablespoon of the lemon olive oil.
- When the oil mixture is hot and glistening, place 4 pieces of chicken in the pan and brown lightly on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove chicken and transfer to a plate. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter olive oil & lemon olive oil to the pan and repeat with 4 remaining pieces of chicken. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic and capers to the pan (if the pan is dry, add another teaspoon or two of lemon olive oil). Stir for about a minute until the garlic is fragrant, being careful not to burn. Add the lemon balsamic and chicken stock, bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits for extra flavour. Cook sauce for another 1-2 minutes until thickened. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired. Return all chicken to the pan and simmer for a few minutes. Transfer chicken to plate, top each portion with sauce and garnish with chopped parsley.