- 2 (two), 5” x 5” (five inch by five inch) puff pastry squares
- 2 (two) tablespoons butter
- 2 (two) tablespoons DSG extra virgin olive oil
- 6 (six) large shrimp, peeled and de-veined, tails on (16-20 count is best)
- flour for dredging, as needed
- 1 1/2 (one and one half) tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and slivered
- 2 (two) tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 (two) teaspoons garlic, minced
- a couple pinches of salt and pepper
- ½ (one-half) ounce vermouth, for deglazing
- 1 (one) ounce sambuca
- 1/3 (one-third) cup heavy 35% cream
- 2 (two) tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- Place puff pastry squares on a baking sheet and bake at 350° F until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Dredge shrimp in flour. Heat butter and olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat until bubbly but not brown. Add shrimp to butter-oil mixture and cook shrimps on each side for about 2 minutes or until golden. Add garlic and shallots to the pan and cook for one minute.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and sauté for 1 minute. Deglaze with dry vermouth and reduce slightly. Carefully add Sambuca and flambé.
- When flame dies down, add cream and basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for another minute or two, to reduce slightly and to allow the flavours to mingle.
- Place each puff pastry square on a large plate and pour some of the sauce on the plate for decoration. Then place 3 shrimp and half of the remaining sauce in the center of each puff pastry square. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.