- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups sliced celery
- 1/4 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups milk
- 2 cups COOKED chicken, cubed or shredded
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (I like to use an “old” cheddar)
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup slivered (not sliced, if possible), toasted almonds*
*To toast almonds, Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in one layer on ungreased shallow baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden.
- Combine flour and salt. Cut in butter.
- Add cheese and almonds. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a frying pan set over medium heat. Add celery and saute, stirring occasionally, for about 5-6 minutes or until softened.
- Add flour and salt (and pepper if desired). Cook for about 1 minute. Add in milk, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened (this will take a few minutes).
- Stir in chicken and cheese and turn into a greased 6-cup casserole dish. Sprinkle with topping and bake at 400 F for 25 minutes.
Don’t throw away the leaves of the celery after using the stalks in this recipe! The leaves are delicious thrown into a mixed green salad for a pop of fresh flavor, or substitute them for cilantro in recipes if you aren’t a fan of cilantro. Chopped celery leaves are also delicious in chicken and/or egg salad as well.
This recipe was first published in February 2011 Newsletter by Dana