I had my parents over for dinner to thank them for all of their support. I had good intentions of preparing a fabulous 5 course meal…..but the work week got away from me (so I ended up serving something a little simpler).
I did, however, manage to bake one of my Dad’s favourite desserts – banana cream pie. This is a very simple recipe and it’s great when there isn’t a lot of fresh fruit in season.
Thanks again Mom and Dad!
Banana Cream Pie
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (or 1.5 tsp vanilla extract)
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 3-4 ripe bananas,
- peeled and sliced
toasted coconut, optional
- fresh whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe dish. Add mashed banana, graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Mix well until moist.
- Press onto bottom and sides of a 10″ diameter glass or tin foil pie dish.
- Bake crust until golden and set – about 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt in heavy medium saucepan to blend. Gradually whisk in whipping cream, milk, and egg yolks. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean (or add 1.5 tsp vanilla extract).
- Whisk over medium-high heat until custard thickens and boils, about 5-7 minutes. Be careful – it can scorch/burn very easily!
- Remove custard from heat. Whisk in butter (preferably unsalted butter). Discard vanilla bean, if using. Transfer custard to large bowl; cool completely, whisking occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Stir custard to loosen, if necessary. Spread 1 cup custard over bottom of prepared crust. Top with half of sliced bananas, then 1 cup custard, covering bananas completely. Repeat layering with remaining bananas and remaining custard. Chill banana cream pie until filling is set – a couple of hours or up to one day.
Optional – When I’m feeling decadent, I like to top the pie with freshly whipped cream and toasted coconut.